Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Countdown...

School starts today. End of summer. End of just training. Ugh. Not cool. I still haven't figured out my schedule. I'm debating between taking 5 or 6 courses. (The fifth and sixth would be relatively easy courses; the other four would be moderate to hard.) I probably should not do it because of

1) the job hunt for next year (all the recruiters are coming to campus this month)
2) I am probably going to intern somewhere (so thats 15-20 hours gone)
3) I wanna do really well this semester (spending lots of time in the hell hole named LAU aka the library—it is actually an architectural nightmare)
4) I need to train because I signed up for a Half Ironman in March.

Ok I should probably explain. I really want to do an Ironman within the next two years. Like really badly. So I think doing a 70.3 is a really good idea. It's also a good way to force my mom to come see me race (she backed out of coming to see me race at Nation's).

I've done quite a few workouts since I last posted.

Irene hit on Saturday, so I decided to get my butt up early (after a night of some drinking at the college bar). I was up at 8 AM, and headed down to Haines Point. Boy was it crowded. The weather was great though! Cool and crisp, my favorite weather. Anyways, my workout was supposed to be a 2 hour easy zone 2 ride followed by a 30 min run. It was marvelous. I averaged 17 mph during moving time! woot.
The run on the other hand was a disaster. Not cool. It was supposed to be 20 min at 10K pace (aka 8:30-8:45) followed by 10min at an easy pace. I hit my targets; 8:22 and 8:45, but my shins were killing me. Painful. I ended up stopping 5 min into the last 10 min to just let my legs quasi recover. I'm pretty sure I now have shin splints. CRAP.

Once I got back home, I grabbed something to eat and iced my legs. They felt soooo good. Funny story. I got a keg tub from the local liquor store, it's this massive black tub. By the time I got it (and the ice) it was raining. So I cleaned out the tub, put some ice in it and proceeded to use a brita jug (w/o the filtration system) to fill up the tub. Fun stuff.

It gets better.

I hadn't really thought the whole process through. Now I was on the top floor of my house. The tub was very heavy when it was filled. I couldn't lift it to the sink to dump out, nor to the shower. I didn't even attempt to pick it up to dump the water out of the window (it was raining pretty hard). I ended up using the brita jug to dump the water out my window! WOOT!

Saturday night, I stayed in. I lie. I went to a friend's house for a bit. I didn't drink (that much), and then just went home and passed out. The next day I had plans with a friend of mine to go on a ride. He had just arrived, and had bought a tri bike over the summer. Before going on the ride we took my bike to get its 30-day tune up. Everything went as planned. Got back to campus and went for a spin to my favorite spot: Haines Point. We did 1:20 pretty fun. After that we went to Ray's Hell Burger. AMAZING. I had a burger and a vanilla milkshake. YUM.

Monday: I went back to see my swim coach at AU. I'm pretty sure I did something else, but I don't remember. I got drunk off of a few beers. Oye.

Tuesday: Tried to go for a run with a friend of mine, made it 1.6 miles. My shins were killing me. NOT GOOD. I did a baseline bike test that afternoon. Felt amazing. The test part, I averaged 20. Eh. Not good. TOO DARN SLOW.

Today: FIRST DAY OF CLASS! AHH. The beginning of the end. Holy smokes. Still trying to figure out my schedule. This morning I did 1:45 with my friend from Sunday. Haines Point once again. Felt good.

Tonight I'm going to do some run surges. Might go running with the Georgetown Running Company. Not sure. AHH.

Oh and the Half Ironman is in San Juan.

I promise to write another post by the end of the week!

Happy training.


1 comment:

  1. Class and training do not mix well.... That's one thing I have noticed about people working. Yeah, you can't train when you work 9-5, but when you have hours of homework on top of that, it makes it tough. Hope you figure something out! And a 70.3 in March!? Crazy!

    ReplyDelete